03.01.2009Posted in: Dating Tip
While the vast majority of people can be trusted, you must be aware of predators, scammers and online liars. To prevent yourself from undesirable contacts we have compiled a list of tips below to help you be on the safe side.
Always trust your instinct, after all it has got you this far in life already. If at any point you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, if something seems strange, odd, unusual or scary, walk away for your own safety and protection and watch out for anyone who seems too good to be true.
Here are a few points to look after:
- Take your time and view plenty of personal ads first. Don’t be rushed. Take your time getting to know people better and develop a trusting relationship.
- Do not publish your phone number or email address in personal ads. Don’t provide your home or work address to anyone you have not met.
- Do ask lots of questions when chatting. Ensure you feel comfortable at all times whoever you are chatting with.
- Before agreeing to a date, ensure you have as much information about your date as possible. Make sure you see plenty of photos if possible of the person you make friends with Chat on the phone for a while before arranging a date.
- Before or after you try online dating, if you want to check a person’s background, this is the best online service we’ve found. http://www.records-access.com.
- When you’re ready to meet someone, how do you ensure your safety when meeting someone in person for a first date?
- Never arrange for your date to pick you up at home. Instead, meet in a public place that is well known and convenient to you during daylight hours. Coffee shops, bookstores and art galleries are generally good choices. Lunchtimes are good for dating, convenient, and they have a time limit.
- Be careful about giving out too much personal information during a first date. If you’re unsure about the person, avoid telling him or her where you work, live, or go to school. In general, it’s best to stay vague.
- Make your own travel arrangements. Do not get into a car alone together. If you want the date to continue on, and you need to change locations, either share a cab or drive your cars separately.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs. They can make it difficult to think clearly or cause you to behave in ways you wouldn’t normally behave.
- Always carry a cellular phone on a date. Have a trusted friend “on call” that will come to meet you or call you with a handy excuse.
In aside to that, the majority of people are just like you, don’t let this put you off. Enjoy your first date and have fun!!